Toshset is a command-line tool allowing access to much of the
Toshiba hardware interface. It can do things like control
display brightness, set the fan speed, and enable the optional
A general Toshset mailing list can be joined by visiting
this link. Once you have joined the list, toshset questions can
be directed to
Credit for the difficult task of reverse-engineering the Toshiba
hardware interface goes to others, principly Jonathan Buzzard.
His tools can be found at
Toshset can now be used under ACPI if the
experimental toshiba acpi driver
from John Belmonte is used. This
has additional hints if you have
toshset trouble and are running ACPI. A recent version (for linux 3.2)
of the patch
can also be found
The current version is 1.76.
not as new new:
- fix to allow option-by-number to have value greater than a single
- new ids: 0xe873, 0xfc76
- added script contributed by Anssi Saari to reset the Novatel 3G modem
before suspend so that it wakes in a working state.
- can be run as nonroot user (need read/write /dev/toshiba
- support for built-in 3G modem
- support for transreflective displays (e.g. Portege R500). Thanks
to Laurent Léonard.
- 64-bit (AMD64) version will now build.
- new and updated machine ids.
- fixes for battery reporting status - now works for the second battery.
- features added by G. L. Gragnani:
USB legacy mode, USB FDD emulation mode, LAN controller, sound logo,
- added sci/hci interface information to output: reports whether toshset is
using the kernel interface, or direct calls to the BIOS.
- cleaned up SCI/HCI interface: now will only use the kernel interface
if /proc/toshiba is present, and will fail if ACPI is in use, and no
kernel interafce is found.
- added -inten option, to control LCD brightness through the HCI
interface. This provides finer granularity than -lcd access, and seems
to work under the latest experimental toshiba_acpi module versions.
- now can query wireless status, and enable internal bluetooth
- now optionally uses the toshiba kernel interface (compile-time flag).
- fixed autooff feature.
- added three video-out modes. See README.video in the distribution.
- setting the owner/user password now works
- setting/querying the owner string now works
tar'd and gzip'd
binary: gzip'd (440kb)
64 bit binary: gzip'd (460kb)
The binary should work with 2.4 and 2.6 Linux kernels. It may work for others
toshset -h for help.
Patches, comments and the output of toshset -v -q are welcome.
To be notified when new versions of toshset are available, join the